March 19, 2013
Lafayette will travel to Staten Island, N.Y. to challenge Wagner on Wednesday afternoon. The Leopards enter the game 2-13 overall, while the Seahawks come in at 2-12.
Last Time Out
The Leopards were swept in a three-game weekend series at North Florida, losing 7-5, 7-1 and 7-1.
Junior outfielder Chris Smith leads the Seahawks offensively, batting .318 with a home run and a team-high eight runs batted in. Junior outfielder Ian Miller leads Wagner in hits (16) and is second in RBI (7). Senior outfielder Nick Alfano is second on the team in batting average (.273) with 12 hits and six runs scored.
The Leopards are 6-11 all-time against the Seahawks, with Wagner taking the game last season, 13-9.
Lafayette - TBD
Wagner - TBD
The forecast for Wednesday is partly cloudy with a high of 44 degrees and a ten percent chance of rain.
Lafayette senior second baseman Kevin Casey was honorable mention in Patriot League Player of the Week voting the week of March 12. The senior had five hits in 14 at bats during the week, scoring a team-high seven runs. Casey had two doubles and two runs batted in to go along with six walks, leading the Leopards to their first two wins of the season. The senior is hitting .347 with a team-high 17 hits.
Wednesday’s game against Wagner was originally scheduled for Tuesday, but was pushed back due to inclement weather.
The Leopards return to Easton, Pa. for their home opener against Penn on March 23, followed by a doubleheader at Penn on March 24.
The Leopards were picked to finish fifth in the Patriot League Preseason Poll, after going 14-37-1 a season ago. Lafayette senior co-captain Kevin Casey garnered Preseason All-Patriot League honors at second base on the League’s inaugural preseason team. Casey hit .330 last season with 17 RBI.
- 14 home games, including 3 Patriot League series
- Home Patriot League series with Lehigh, Holy Cross and Army
- Non-conference home games vs. La Salle, Penn, Seton Hall and Rutgers
- Other non-conference games vs. Georgetown, Davidson, Campbell, Rider, Maryland Eastern Shore, Temple, North Florida, Wagner, Monmouth, Manhattan
- Lafayette renews its series with rival Lehigh with a pair of doubleheaders in Easton, Pa. on March 30 and 31.
- Two opponents from 2012 NCAA Tourney (Army and Manhattan)
- First time opponents in Campbell, Maryland Eastern Shore and North Florida