Women's Tennis Opens Tournament with 4-0 Victory
April 17, 2014
LEWISBURG, Pa. - The Lafayette women's tennis team began Patriot League Touranment play with a first round victory over ninth-seeded Holy Cross on Thursday. With the 4-0 win, the No. 8 seed Leopards move on to face No. 1 ranked Boston University on Friday morning at 9 a.m.
The Maroon and White collected points in the first, fifth and sixth singles matches and won two of three doubles matches to complete the contest. Sophomore Caroline Nixon and freshman Lauren Tracy each earned a point in their respective singles match, while also contributing to the two doubles triumphs. Nixon dropped Holy Cross' Taylor Stathis 6-0, 6-0 at No. 1 singles and combined with Catherine Senopolous to defeat Stathis and Virginia Peck Phillips 8-4 at No. 1 doubles.
Tracy defeated Marielle Newell in straight sets (6-1, 6-2) at No. 6 singles, while also teaming up with junior Amanda Kusnierz to knock off Newell and Maya Welch 8-5 in the decisive third doubles competition. Rookie Tori Almeida was also a 6-0, 6-1 winner over Welch at No. 5 singles.
Jordyn Spellberg and Senopolous each were in control of their singles' bouts at the time the team wrapped up four points to take the match.
LAFAYETTE 4, HOLY CROSS 0
1. Caroline Nixon, Laf, def. Taylor Stathis 6-0, 6-0.
2. Virginia Peck Philips, HC, led Rocine Moschella 6-3, 5-2, DNF.
3. Jordyn Spellberg, Laf, led Jaclyn Carroll 6-1, 3-3, DNF.
4. Catherine Senopoulos, Laf, led Molly Montgomery 6-4, 2-0, DNF.
5. Tori Almeida, Laf, def. Maya Welch 6-0, 6-1.
6. Lauren Tracy, Laf, def. Marielle Newell 6-1, 6-2.
1. Nixon / Senopoulos, Laf, def. Stathis / Peck-Philips 8-4.
2. Carroll / Montgomery, HC, def. Moschella / Almeida 8-6.
3. Amanda Kusnierz / Tracy, Laf, def. Welch / Newell 8-5.