March 28, 2014
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – The Lafayette women’s tennis program defeated LaSalle University 7-0 in a non-conference matchup yesterday in Philadelphia, Pa. With the win, the Leopards moved to 4-2 overall on the season. The Explorers dropped to 2-7.
Caroline Nixon swept her LaSalle opponent 6-0 in both sets in the first singles match while Rocine Moschella picked up a victory due to her opponent having to retire due to an injury. In the third singles match, Catherine Senopoulos ousted her foe 6-1, 6-1 and Amanda Kusnierz made quick work of her opponent in the fourth singles, winning 6-0, 6-0. Both Tori Almeida and Lauren Tracy collected wins in the fifth and sixth singles due to LaSalle not having enough players.
In doubles, the pair of Nixon and Senopoulos defeated the duo from LaSalle 8-3 while Moschella and Almeida won easily, 8-0. Kusnierz and Tracy picked up the victory in the third doubles match due to the Explorers being shorthanded on players.
Lafayette returns to the court tomorrow night with a Patriot League matchup at Loyola. The match is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.
Lafayette 7, LaSalle 0
1. Nixon (LC) def. Coelho (LU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Moschella (LC) def. Smith (LU) ret.-injury
3. Senopoulos (lC) def. Trave (LU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Kusnierz (LC) def. Johnson (LU) 6-0, 6-0
5. LaSalle forfeit against Almeida (LC)
6. LaSalle forfeit against Tracy (LC)
1. Nixon/Senopoulos (LC) def. Coelho/Smith (LU) 8-3
2. Moschella/Almeida (LC) def. Trave/Johnson (LU) 8-0
3. LaSalle forfeit against Kusnierz/Tracy (LC)