March 24, 2014
WEST POINT, N.Y. – The Lafayette women’s tennis program defeated Holy Cross 6-1 but were swept by Army 7-0 in a Patriot League tri-match over the weekend at the Litchtenburg Tennis Center in West Point, N.Y.
Against Holy Cross, Caroline Nixon was tested in the first singles match as she dropped the first set 7-5 but rebounded in the second and third sets, winning 6-3 in each. In the second singles, Rocine Moschella lost the first set 6-2 but responded in the second and third sets, winning both by a score of 6-2. The Leopards made quick work of the Crusaders in the next four singles matches. Catherine Senopoulos won 6-0, 6-2 in the third and Tori Almeida picked up the victory 6-1, 6-3 in the fourth. Amanda Kusnierz followed in the fifth with a 6-0, 6-3 triumph and Liza Blank rounded out the singles competition, losing 6-0, 6-2.
In doubles, Nixon and Senopoulos ousted their Holy Cross opponents 8-5 while Moschella and Almeida doubled up their competition 8-4. In the final doubles match, the duo of Kusnierz and Lauren Tracy dispatched their Crusader foes 8-2.
In match versus Army, Nixon dropped the first match 6-2, 6-1 and Moschella was bested 6-1, 6-1 in the second singles. Senopoulos was defeated 6-3, 6-1 while Tori Almeida put up a fight in the fourth match, winning the first set 6-3 before losing the second and third sets 7-5 and 10-3. Gabby Montes lost 6-2, 6-2 in the fifth singles and Blank was ousted 6-2, 6-1 in the sixth and final singles match.
In doubles, Nixon and Senopoulos were bested 8-2, Moschella and Almeida dropped an 8-3 decision and the pair of Kusnierz and Tracy were bested 8-2 in the third doubles match.
Lafayette returns to the court on Thursday in a non-conference matchup at LaSalle. The Leopards will resume Patriot League play next Saturday at Blatimore, Md. against Loyola.
Lafayette 6, Holy Cross 1
1. Nixon (LC) def. Stathis (HC) 5-7, 6-3, 6-3
2. Moschella (LC) def. Peck-Phillips (HC) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Senopoulos (LC) def. Caroll (HC) 6-0, 6-2
4. Almeida (LC) def. Montgomery (HC) 6-1, 6-3
5. Kusnierz (LC) def. Welch (HC) 6-0, 6-3
6. Newell (HC) def. Blank (LC) 6-0, 6-2
1. Nixon/Senopoulos (LC) def. Stathis/Peck-Phillips (HC) 8-5
2. Moschella/Almeida (LC) def. Carroll/Montgomery (HC) 8-4
3. Kusnierz/Tracy (LC) def. Welch/Newell (HC) 8-2
Army 7, Lafayette 0
1. Paul (A) def. Nixon (LC), 6-2, 6-1
2. Gabriella Spindler (A) def. Moschella (LC), 6-1, 6-1
3. E. Taylor (A) def. Senopoulos (LC), 6-2, 6-1
4. Ally Hayley (A) def. Almeida (LC), 3-6, 7-5, 10-3
5. Nancy Porter (A) def. Gabby Montes (LC), 6-2, 6-2
6. Hayley O'Connor (A) def. Liza Blank (LC), 6-2, 6-1
1. Della Taylor/Elle Taylor (A) def. Caroline Nixon/Catherine Senopoulos (LC), 8-2
2. Jamila Paul/Carolyn Pitman (A) def. Rocine Moschella/Tori Almeida (LC), 8-3
3. Margaret Iliev/Carly Riney (A) def. Lauren Tracy/Amanda Kusnierz (LC), 8-2