Skip to main content Skip to footer

Bucknell Drops Women's Soccer, 1-0

Oct. 23, 2013

Lafayette Photo Store

(5-9-1, 1-6-0)
  1 2 F
 Bucknell 0 1 1
 Lafayette 0 0 0
Box Score (PDF) | Box Score

(6-8-1, 3-3-1)
 Scoring Summary
 Player  Assist Time
 BU - Nicicski Gannon 61:05
 Player Mins GA S
 LC - Sedillo 90:00 1 5
 BU- Ashworth 45:00 0 1
 BU - Ratner 45:00 0 0

EASTON, Pa. - Evelyn Nicinski's second-half header was the difference in the match as Bucknell held off Lafayette in a 1-0 final on Wednesday evening at Oaks Stadium. Nicinski's game-winner came on a feed from Alexis Gannon.

"I thought overall we played very well," head coach Mick Statham said. "Obviously we were missing a goal again, which is the most important part of the game. It is incredibly frustrating for everyone because we are playing well. Credit to Bucknell, they are the ones who found the goal and Evelyn Nicinski showed her quality with the finish. I thought she was very good."

It took fifteen minutes of play before a shot found its way on goal and it was Lafayette's Kelly Boyce who took the first attempt of the match. The play resulted from a Leopards' free kick by Alex Reisinger that skidded through the box to Boyce's right foot, but the shot off the inside of her foot was stopped by Bucknell's Jessie Ashworth.

The game opened up a bit from there as Bucknell (6-8-1, 3-3-1) grabbed consecutive opportunities on the other end over the next two minutes. A long run by Courtney Nelson through the midfield yielded a shot from outside the 18, but it sailed high, before Brigit Falcon's long shot was stopped by Danielle Sedillo, who dove to her left to smother the bouncing ball. Sedillo finished with five saves in all for Lafayette (5-9-1, 1-6-0).

The half ended without any goals, but it wasn't because of a lack of chances. A corner kick by Allie Torru with less than seven minutes to play in the half was sent into the mix where Merle Liedmeier and Alyssa Finelli went crashing in, but the ball bounced through the area and away from danger.

Sedillo's toughest save of the night kept the Bison off the scoreboard in the 43rd minute. Nicinski let loose a strike that seemed destined for the far corner, but Sedillo left her feet and stuck her left hand out to knock it away.

With the game still tied in the 62nd minute, Bucknell broke through with the decisive goal. A run down the left side by Gannon led her to the end line where she sent in a service toward Nicinski near the far post. Nicinski rose up to meet the ball in the air and redirected it on goal with enough power to get through Sedillo's fingertips and under the bar.

The visitors held a 10-5 advantage in shots, while Lafayette had five corners compared to Bucknell's three.

Lafayette returns to the pitch at Oaks Stadium on Saturday night when it hosts Army. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m. and the game can be seen live on the Patriot League Network.

Remember to `LIKE' Lafayette Athletics on Facebook and follow @GoLeopards on Twitter and Instagram