Skip to main content Skip to footer

Comeback Bid Falls Short for Women's Lacrosse

March 19, 2014

(3-6, 0-3 PL) 
  1 2 Final
 Lafayette 1 7 8
 Lehigh 5 4 9

Box Score | Box Score (PDF) 

(4-4, 2-1 PL)
 Statistical Leaders
 Goals Totals
LC - Wilhelmsen 4
LU - Four Players 2
 Assists Totals
LC - None 0
LU - Three Players  1
 Draw Controls Totals
LC - White  11
LU - LaBeau 2
 Ground Balls Totals
LC - Case, Kleiber 3
LU - Seven Players 2
 Caused Turnovers Totals
LC - Kleiber 3
LU - Scott, Garden 3
 Player Mins GA S
 LC - Curtin (3-6) 60:00 9 2
 LU - Fitzpatrick (4-4) 60:00 8 14

Bethlehem, Pa. - The Lafayette women's lacrosse team fell to rival Lehigh, 9-8 on a rainy night in Bethlehem. The Leopards couldn't overcome a 5-1 halftime deficit as the Mountain Hawks held off a furious Lafayette comeback bid.

Lafayette (3-6, 0-3 PL) was led offensively by Kirsten Wilhelmsen's game-high four goals. Ana White buried two goal, while Carlianne McCabe and Laura Kleiber each tallied a goal for the Leopards. Kleiber had a team-high three caused turnovers and White came away with a game-high 11 draw controls.

Lehigh (4-4, 2-1 PL) opened the scoring at the 25:51 mark of the first half. The Mountain Hawks added two more at 18:37 and 15:55 to increase their lead to 3-0. After another Lehigh goal, Ana White got the Leopards on the board, converting on a free position attempt with 13:25 left in the opening frame.

The Mountain Hawks answered with nine minutes to play in the first half to increase their lead to 5-1 and held that four-goal advantage at the half.

Lehigh pushed its advantage to five, scoring less than three minutes into the second half to take a 6-1 lead. After another Mountain Hawk goal, Kirsten Wilhelmsen tallied back-to-back goals for the Leopards to pull Lafayette within four, 7-3.

Four minutes later, White scored her second of the night to trim the lead to three, 7-4. With 11:57 to play the Mountain Hawks extend their edge to four, but Carlianne McCabe countered 30 seconds later for the Leopards.

Lehigh's Alison LaBeau pushed the Mountain Hawks back ahead by four, 9-5 with 10 and a half minutes to go. Wilhelmsen tallied her third goal of the night with five minutes on the clock, followed by a free position goal from Kleiber to trim the Lehigh lead to two, 9-7.

Wilhelmsen scored her fourth with just over three minutes to play to make it a one-point game. Lehigh's Alex Fitzpatrick made key saves down the stretch to hold off the Leopards comeback bid.

Lafayette returns to action on Saturday when the Leopards take on Holy Cross in Worcester, Mass. at noon. The Maroon and White remain on the road at Central Connecticut on Tuesday night.