Skip to main content Skip to footer

Holy Cross Downs Leopards Despite Strong Second Half

Jan. 23, 2013

Lafayette Photo Store

7-12, 0-4

  1 2 F
Holy Cross 33 27 60
Lafayette 24 31 55

Box Score

9-10, 1-3

 Stat Comparison LC HC
 Points 55 60
 FG Made-Attempted 21-57 22-51
 FG Percentage 36.8 43.1
 3P Made/Attempted 8-18 5-13
 3P Percentage 44.4 38.5
 FT Made-Attempted 5-7 11-18
 FT Percentage 71.4 61.1
 Rebounds 31 40
 Turnovers 18 20

 Individual Leaders
 Scoring Totals
 LC - Loughney, Macklin 12
 HC - Lepley 17
 LC - Liddle 7
 HC - Scott 10
 LC - Peabody 5
 HC - Smith 6
 LC - Liddle 3
 HC - Brisje 3
 LC - Homan, Jordan 1
 HC - Four Players 1

WORCESTER, Mass. – Playing with a short-handed lineup on the road, the Lafayette women’s basketball team fought to overcome a nine-point halftime deficit and take the lead with 15:44 left in the game. However, a 6:30 field-goal drought late in the second half sealed its fate, giving Holy Cross its first Patriot League win, 60-55.

Sophomore Linnel Macklin and junior Kelly Loughney led the team in scoring with 12 points apiece as all of Loughney’s came in the second half of play. Junior co-captain Danielle Fiacco did not make the trip due to illness and sophomore Brya Freeland was held out because of a back injury. In addition, sophomore co-captain Emily Homan’s minutes were limited to just seven as flu-like symptoms cut her production.

The Leopards shot 21-of-57 from the floor (37%) and their second-best of the year, only behind the Pittsburgh game, from three-point range, knocking down 8-for-18 from beyond the arc (44%). On the other side, the Crusaders went 22-of-51 from the field (43%) and 5-for-13 from three-point range (38%). Amy Lepley led the way for Holy Cross with a game-high 17 points on 7-of-9 shooting (78%) and went 3-for-4 from the free-throw line (75%).

A put-back bucket from Holy Cross’ Lepley, followed by a three from Ashley Cooper forced an early timeout from head coach Dianne Nolan. The Crusaders notched another second-chance opportunity out of the break and a shot beyond the arc from Alex Smith went through and gave them the 10-1 lead going into the first media timeout with 15:44 on the clock.

Lafayette finally tallied its first field goal of the contest with 13:26 remaining in the half as O’Hare knocked down a triple in secondary transition to push the score to 13-4. She hit another from three-point land to cut the lead to eight at 15-7 with 12:01 to play in the first.

Two threes from seniors Alicia Manning and Ashley Springer off the bench with under 10 minutes to play in the half made it a three-point game at 18-15 on the board. However, Smith continued her stellar half as she hit another from distance at the 8:32 mark to extend the lead to eight again, 23-15.

That margin held for the remainder of the half as Holy Cross went into the locker room with the nine-point advantage, 33-24.

Two free throws and a jumper from Loughney to open up the second half of play cut the lead to five at 33-28. She would hit another runner and jumper on the next two possessions to notch the first eight points of the second stanza for the Leopards. Macklin’s shot from the elbow with 16:15 to play in the half got the Leopards within one at 35-34.

Out of the media timeout at the 15:44 mark, Macklin found Jordan after a Crusaders turnover and she hit the lay-up to give Lafayette its first lead of the contest. With 12:42 to play, Springer came in and gave the Leopards a spark and their largest lead to that point as she nailed a three from the left wing to put them up five, 43-38.

Loughney continued her strong second-half showing as a feed from Peabody found her open in the corner and her jumper pushed the lead to four at 47-43 heading into the eight-minute media timeout.

Fahan knocked down a jumper from the right wing with 6:41 to play to extend the lead to its largest for Lafayette at nine points, 52-43. However, less than two minutes later with 4:50 on the clock, the Crusaders forced a Nolan timeout as Lepley’s reverse lay-up cut the lead to just two at 52-50.

With 3:02 to play and Holy Cross down two, Smith took a hand-off from Lepley and drained a three to take the lead back for the Crusaders, 53-52. Lepley hit two free throws with 1:44 to play to extend the lead to three.

Turnovers, assisted by Crusader free throws, iced the game for Holy Cross, as it secured its first Patriot League victory by a final score of 60-55. A Macklin three with 12.1 seconds on the clock ended a 6:30 drought without a field goal for the Maroon and White to finish the second half.

The Maroon and White return to Easton on Saturday for their first battle of the season with archrival Lehigh inside Kirby Sports Center at 2 p.m.