Maroon Club Celebrates Third Straight Year Over $1.5M
Aug. 8, 2017
EASTON, Pa. -- For the third consecutive year, Lafayette College’s Maroon Club surpassed the $1.5 million dollar fundraising mark. A total of $1,522,896 was raised from 2,787 donors.
“The Maroon Club's mission is to enhance the student-athlete experience for all of Lafayette's 23 Division I athletic programs,” said Director of Athletic Development Josh Azer. “This would not be possible without our friends, parents and alumni. As we finalize plans for 2017-18, the Maroon Club is excited to move forward with a new president in Paulo Coelho ’03, and to work with other new volunteers to enhance the overall student-athlete experience. With all of us bringing fresh ideas to the table, it is an exciting time to be a student-athlete at Lafayette.”
Key highlights from the 2016-17 academic year include:
- The addition of two new annual merit football scholarships.
- Renovations to the sports medicine area in Kamine Varsity House.
- Upgrades to the softball stadium.
- New record boards at the Weinstein Natatorium.
- Nutrition stations for student-athletes.
- Sports Psychologist services.
- Additional funding for the Oaks Leadership Academy.
Another highlight from the 2016-17 academic year featured an achieved goal for Lafayette’s student-athletes and staff. For the first time in the 80-year history of the Maroon Club, 100 percent of Lafayette's student-athletes, coaches and athletic administration made a gift in support of Lafayette athletics.
“We used this campaign as an opportunity to educate all of us in the athletic department about the importance of paying forward,” said Director of Athletics Bruce McCutcheon. “I am proud of the work we do together to continually improve upon the educational experience of our student-athletes through Division I athletics and I am thankful to our loyal alumni, parents and friends who stand shoulder to shoulder with us in this great endeavor.”
There are many ways gifts to the Maroon Club directly impact the success of the athletics department. Gifts to the General Fund support the Oaks Leadership Academy, strength and conditioning programs, athletic training resources, the bi-annual Career Development Series and other department-wide programs.
For donors interested in making a gift, there are several easy and convenient methods:
- Give online by credit card at development.lafayette.edu/give.
- Mail a check (payable to Lafayette College) to Lafayette College, Development Office, Box 3000, Easton, PA 18042 (be sure to write Maroon Club/Sport(s) of your choice on the memo line or send a supporting letter with instructions).
- Call (610) 330-5034. Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express can be utilized.
All gifts to the Maroon Club general fund and/or sport or area of the donor's choice are a part of the $400 million Live Connected, Lead Change Campaign for Lafayette College. Donors can earmark donations to a specific sport through the Friends of programs or make gifts to the Maroon Club general fund.
For more information on the Maroon Club or to inquire about a major gift towards athletic scholarship or endowment, please contact Josh Azer, Director of Athletic Development (firstname.lastname@example.org, 610-330-3116).