Men's Tennis Blanks Holy Cross in League Tournament
April 24, 2014
WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Lafayette men's tennis team began the Patriot League Tournament with a first round sweep against No. 9 Holy Cross on Thursday afternoon at Lichtenberg Tennis Center. The eighth-seeded Leopards won the match by a 4-0 final and move on to face No. 1 Army on Friday at 9 a.m.
Lafayette earned the doubles point with a pair of 8-0 shutout victories by the tandems of Brandon Goldstein and Brian Stefanowicz in the first position and Brian Pinkard and Jake Lazer at No. 2 doubles. Goldstein and Stefanowicz knocked off Ryan Sullivan and Jimmy Ye, while Pinkard and Lazer blanked Chris Brosnan and Rob Buetti.
Lazer was responsible for one of Lafayette's three singles' wins, as he dropped Pat O'Shea in straight sets (6-3, 6-0) at No. 4 singles. Chris Matturri defeated Brandon Ynayan 6-0, 6-2 at No. 5 singles, while Gavin Studner cruised past Buetti 6-3, 6-1 in the sixth spot.
At the time the match was decided, Lafayette led the remaining singles' bouts with Goldstein, Pinkard and Stefanowicz each in control of their respective matches. Matturi and Studner also led O'Shea and Elmar Lutz 6-1 when the doubles point was determined.
Weather permitting, the remainder of the tournament will be contested outdoors on Army's Malek Tennis Courts.
LAFAYETTE 4, HOLY CROSS 0
1. Brandon Goldstein (LC) led Ryan Sullivan (HC) 6-0, 5-1, DNF.
2. Brian Pinkard (LC) led Chris Brosnan (HC) 6-3, 3-0, DNF.
3. Brian Stefanowicz (LC) led Jimmy Ye (HC) 6-1, 2-1, DNF.
4. Jake Lazer (LC) def. Pat O'Shea (HC) 6-3, 6-0.
5. Chris Matturri (LC) def. Brandon Ynayan (HC) 6-0, 6-2.
6. Gavin Studner (LC) def. Rob Buetti (HC) 6-3, 6-1.
Order of finish: 6, 5, 4, 1 (DNF), 3 (DNF), 2 (DNF).
1. Brandon Goldstein/Brian Stefanowicz (LC) def. Ryan Sullivan/Jimmy Ye (HC) 8-0.
2. Brian Pinkard/Jake Lazer (LC) def. Chris Brosnan/Rob Buetti (HC) 8-0.
3. Chris Matturi/Gavin Studner (LC) led Pat O'Shea/Elmar Lutz (HC) 6-1, DNF.
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3 (DNF).