Leopards Fall in Patriot League Tourney
April 22, 2013
SYRACUSE, N.Y. – The Lafayette men’s tennis team dropped a 4-0 decision to Bucknell in the quarterfinals of the Patriot League Tournament on Friday. The Bison took two doubles matches and three singles matches to earn the four points.
Brandon Goldstein and Scott Gelbman were defeated, 8-2, at first doubles, while Brian Stefanowicz and Jake Lazer lost, 8-4, at third doubles, giving Bucknell the doubles point. Gavin Studner and Chris Matturri held a 7-2 advantage when doubles play was stopped.
Bucknell’s Evan Zimmer beat Studner, 6-0, 6-0, at third singles, followed by Josh Katten defeating Stefanowicz, 6-3, 6-2 at fourth singles to give the Bison a 3-0 lead. Octavio Canibe finished the match by beating Lazer, 6-4, 6-3, at sixth singles. Goldstein was ahead, 6-3, 5-0, at first singles when the match was decided, while Gelbman also held a, 6-4, 4-3, advantage when the match was determined.
The Leopards finish the season 5-12 overall and 1-5 in the Patriot League.
Bucknell 4, Lafayette 0
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Evan Zimmer/Aidan Lynch (BU) def. Brandon Goldstein/Scott Gelbman (LC), 8-2
2. Nick Bybel/Josh Katten (BU) vs. Gavin Studner/Chris Matturri (LC), 7-2 DNF
3. Octavio Canibe/Kelly Morque (BU) def. Brian Stafanowicz/Jake Lazer (LC), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 6
1. Nick Bybel (BU) Brandon Goldstein (LC), 6-3, 5-0 DNF
2. Kelly Morque (BU) Scott Gelbman (LC), 6-4, 4-3 DNF
3. Evan Zimmer (BU) def. Gavin Studner (LC), 6-0, 6-0
4. Josh Katten (BU) def. Brian Stefanowicz (LC), 6-3, 6-2
5. Kyle Rosen (BU) Chris Matturri (LC), 6-0, 3-5 DNF
6. Octavio Canibe (BU) Jake Lazer (LC), 6-4, 6-3