April 13, 2013
ALLENTOWN, Pa. – The Lafayette men’s tennis team fell to visiting Navy on Friday night, 7-0, in Patriot League action. The Leopards dropped to 5-10 overall and 1-4 in the Patriot League.
In singles, Lafayette’s Chris Matturri fell in a tiebreaker to Navy’s Alex Gaines at fifth singles, 8-7-(2), while Jake Lazer lost a hard fought match to Alex Sisk at No. 6 singles, 8-5. Navy’s Calvin Mark bested Brandon Goldstein 6-2, 6-1 at first singles, while Scott Gelbman was bested by Peter McDonald, 6-3, 6-1 at No. 2 singles.
On the doubles side, Lazer and Alex Charchalis fell at third doubles in a close bout by Sisk and Gaines, 9-7. Goldstein and Gelbman dropped an 8-4 decision to Mark and McDonald at first doubles.
The Leopards return to the court on Sunday afternoon when they visit Bucknell at 2 p.m.
1. Calvin Mark (N) def. Brandon Goldstein, 6-2, 6-1
2. Peter McDonald (N) def. Scott Gelbman, 6-3, 6-1
3. Blake Daniel (N) def. Gavin Studner, 6-1, 6-0
4. Nicholas Gutsche (N) def. Brian Stefanowicz, 6-1, 6-2
5. Alex Gaines (N) def. Chris Matturri, 8-7 (2)
6. Alex Sisk (N) def. Jake Lazer, 8-5
1. Calvin Mark / Peter McDonald (N) def. Brandon Goldstein / Scott Gelbman, 8-4
2. Blake Daniel / Nicholas Gutsche (N) def. Gavin Studner / Brian Stefanowicz, 8-1
3. Alex Gaines / Alex Sisk (N) def. Chris Matturri / Alex Charchalis, 9-7