Loyola Ousts Men's Tennis
March 31, 2014
BALTIMORE, Md. – The Lafayette men’s tennis team fell to Loyola 4-3 over the weekend in Baltimore, Md. The Leopards were able to pick up the doubles points but the Greyhounds collected four of the six singles points to seal the victory.
In the first singles match, Brandon Goldstein was ousted in three sets 6-2, 1-6, 6-4 while Brian Pinkard was able to earn a win in three sets in the second singles, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (5). Brian Stefanowicz was the only other Leopard to win in singles, defeating his opponent 6-0, 6-4. In the fourth match, Chris Matturri was bested in straight sets 6-4, 6-3 as was T.J. Morgan in the fifth singles, 6-4, 6-3. Jake Lazer also fell in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0.
In doubles, the pair of Goldstein and Stefanowicz doubled up their foes 8-4 and the duo of Pinkard and Lazer won 8-7 in a tiebreaker to help Lafayette earn the doubles point. In the final doubles match, Morgan and Gavin Studner were knocked off 8-5.
The Leopards are back in action this Wednesday as they host Saint Joseph’s. The match is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m.
Loyola 4, Lafayette 3
1. Connor Pietrak (LU) defeated Brandan Goldstein (Laf) 6-2, 1-6, 6-4
2. Brian Pinkard (Laf) defeated Harrison Kunkel (LU) 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (5)
3. Brian Stefanowicz (Laf) defeated Connor Lisco (LU) 6-0, 6-4
4. Greg Olesnycky (LU) defeated Chris Matturri (Laf) 6-4, 6-3
5. Jordan Kuchta (LU) defeated TJ Morgan (Laf) 6-4, 6-3
6. Alex Castro (LU) defeated Jake Lazer (Laf) 6-2, 6-0
E. Gavin Studner (Laf) defeated Max Shanbrom (LU) 8-4
1.Goldstein/Stefanowicz (Laf) defeated Kunkel/Lisco (LU) 8-4
2.Pinkard/Lazer (Laf) defeated Olesnycky/Kuchta (LU) 8-7 (12)
3.Pietrak/Castro (LU) defeated Morgan/ Studner (Laf) 8-4