Leopards Earn 6-1 Win Over Holy Cross
March 25, 2013
EASTON, Pa. - The Lafayette men's tennis team defeated Holy Cross on Saturday afternoon by a final score of 6-1. The Leopards improved to 3-5 this spring.
Sophomore Brandon Goldstein won a hard fought match at No. 1 singles with a, 7-6 (1), 7-5, victory over Nick Berrettini, while senior Scott Gelbman took care of Conner McCann at No. 3 singles, 6-0, 6-1. At fourth singles, freshman Brian Stefanowicz ousted Chris Brosnan, 6-3, 6-1. Rookies Chris Matturri and Alex Charchalis each picked up a win at fifth and sixth singles to give the Leopards five of the six singles points.
In doubles action, Gelbman and Matturri earned an 8-5 victory at No. 1 doubles, while Goldstein teamed with sophomore Jake Lazer to win, 8-3, at second doubles. Studner and Stefanowicz took care of their third doubles opponents, 8-3.
Lafayette returns to the court on March 26, when it travels to Belmont, N.C. to take on Belmont Abbey at 2 p.m.
Lafayette 6, Holy Cross 1
1. Brandon Goldstein (LC) d. Nick Berrettini (HC) 7-6 (1), 7-5
2. Ryan Sullivan (HC) d. Gavin Studner (LC) 6-4, 7-6 (4)
3. Scott Gelbman (LC) d. Conner McCann (HC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Brian Stefanowicz d. Chris Brosnan (HC) 6-3, 6-1
5. Chris Matturri (LC) d. Scot Brownell (HC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Alex Charchalis (LC) d. Rich Degregoris (HC) 6-2, 6-4
1. Gelbman/Matturri (LC) d. Sullivan/McCann (HC) 8-5
2. Goldstein/Jake Lazer (LC) d. Berrettini/Degregoris (HC) 8-3
3. Studner/Matturi (LC) d. Brownell/Brosnan (HC) 8-3