Men's Tennis Splits in Patriot League Tri-Match
March 24, 2014
WEST POINT, N.Y. – The Lafayette men’s tennis program swept Holy Cross, 7-0, but were also ousted by Army, 7-0, in a Patriot League tri-match over the weekend at the Litchtenburg Tennis Center in West Point, N.Y.
Against Holy Cross, Brandon Goldstein picked up the win in the first singles 6-2, 6-0 while Brian Pinkard knocked off his opponent 6-3, 6-0. In the third singles, Brian Stefanowicz won 6-2, 6-1 and TJ Morgan defeated his foe 6-1, 6-3 in the fourth. Chris Matturri collected a close victory in the fifth singles, winning 6-2, 7-5 and Jake Lazer rounded out the singles competition, ousting his Crusader opponent 6-1, 6-1.
In doubles, Goldstein and Stefanowicz won 8-1 in the first doubles match while the duo of Pinkard and Lazer defeated their Holy Cross pair 8-2. In the final doubles match, Morgan and Gavin Studner garnered the victory by a score of 8-2.
In the match versus Army, Goldstein was knocked off 6-0, 6-2 in the first singles match and Pinkard was defeated 6-3, 6-2 in the second. Stefanowicz was ousted 6-1, 6-1 in the third, which was followed by Morgan dropping a 6-4, 6-0 decision in the fourth singles match. In the fifth singles matchup, Matturri was bested 6-2, 6-0 while Studner was ousted 6-2, 6-2 in the final singles match.
In doubles, Army knocked off Stefanowicz/Goldstein 8-2 in the opening doubles match. Pinkard and Lazer were able to pick up the win 8-5 to even the doubles score. In the third and final doubles match, the Black Knights ousted Matturri and Studner 8-3 to collect the doubles point.
Lafayette continues Patriot League play next Saturday as they travel to Baltimore, Md. to face Loyola.
Lafayette 7, Holy Cross 0
1. Brandon Goldstein (LC) def. Ryan Sullivan (HC) 6-2, 6-0
2. Brian Pinkard (LC) def. Chris Brosnan (HC) 6-3, 6-0
3. Brian Stefanowicz (LC) def. Jimmy Ye (HC) 6-2, 6-1
4. TJ Morgan (LC) def. Pat O’Shea (HC) 6-1, 6-3
5. Chris Matturri (LC) def. Sean Frebes (HC) 6-2, 7-5
6. Jake Lazer (LC) def. Charles Volkwein (HC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Goldstein/Stefanowicz (LC) def Sullivan/Brosnan (HC) 8-1
2. Pinkard/Lazer (LC) def. Ye/Volkwein (HC) 8-2
3. Morgan/Studner (LC) def. O’Shea/Frebes (HC) 8-2
Army 7, Lafayette 0
1. Asika Isoh (A) def. Goldstein (LC), 6-0, 6-2
2. Calson Best (A) def. Pinkard (LC), 6-3, 6-2
3. Alex Van Velzer (A) def. Stefanowitz (LC), 6-1, 6-1
4. Peter Sienko (A) def. T.J. Morgan (LC), 6-4, 6-0
5. Roman Cacha (A) def. Matturn (LC), 6-2, 6-0
6. Ben Davies (A) def. Studner (LC), 6-2, 6-2
1. Harrison McCormick/Grant Riechmann (A) def. Brandon Goldstein/Brian Stefanowitz (LC), 8-2
2. Brian Pinkard/John Lazer (LC) def. Kyle Barnes/Austin McCasin (A), 8-5
3. Ron Verano/Sam Lampman (A) def. Chris Matturn/Gavin Studner (LC), 8-3