Lafayette Drops Decision at Colgate
March 11, 2013
EASTON, Pa. – The Leopards men’s tennis team was defeated Saturday by Colgate, 7-0 in Hamilton, N.Y. Lafayette dropped to 2-3 for the season.
Sophomore Brandon Goldstein battled in a three-set match at first singles, but fell to Luke Gensburg, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2. At third singles senior Scott Gelbman lost in a tiebreaker in the third set, 7-5, 1-6, 10-6.
In doubles freshmen Gavin Studner and Brian Stefanowicz won the only match for the Leopards, 8-6 at third doubles. Goldstein and sophomore Jake Lazer were defeated by Alec Goldstein and Nick Laub in second doubles, 9-7, while junior Will Mercorella and Gelbman dropped their first doubles match, 8-4.
Lafayette will be back in action Thursday at 2 p.m. in Philadelphia against St. Joseph’s.
1. Luke Gensburg (CU) def. Brandon Goldstein (LC) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
2. Alec Goldstein (CU) def. Will Mercorella (LC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Bobby Berkowitz (CU) def. Scott Gelbman (LC) 7-5, 1-6, 10-6
4. Alan Pleat (CU) def. Chris Matturri (LC) 6-0, 6-4
5. Mark Pronchick (CU) def. Gavin Studner (LC) 6-2, 6-0
6. John Beam (CU) def. Brian Stefanowicz (LC) 8-3
1. Gensburg/Harry Jewett (CU) def. Mercorella/Gelbman (LC) 8-4
2. Goldstein/Nick Laub (CU) def. Goldstein/Jake Lazer (LC) 9-7
3. Studner/Stefanowicz (LC) def. Berkowitz/Archer McFall (CU) 8-6