Men's Tennis Swept at Monmouth
Feb. 28, 2014
WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. – The Lafayette men’s tennis program was bested 7-0 against Monmouth in a non-conference matchup on Friday.
In singles, junior Brandon Goldstein was ousted in straight sets 6-2, 6-0 while sophomore Brian Pinkard also was defeated in straight sets. In the third single, sophomore Brian Stefanowicz was able to win the first set 6-3 before dropping the second and third 6-4, 6-3. Sophomores Chris Matturri and Gavin Studner were beat in straight sets in the fourth and fifth singles while junior Jake Lazer lost 6-2, 6-0 in the sixth singles match.
In doubles, Pinkard and Matturri were bested 8-2 while Studner and Lazer were knocked off 8-5. Goldstein and Stefanowicz were leading their match 7-5 with a match point, however, the match was called before completion due to the doubles point already being decided.
The Leopards return to action on Saturday afternoon at 2:30 p.m. when they take on St. Peter’s at home.
1. V. Pugliese (MU) def Brandon Goldstein (LC) 6-2, 6-0
2. W. Kumthonkittikul (MU) def Brian Pinkard (LC) 7-6, 6-2 3.
3. L. Adamus (MU) def Brian Stefanowicz (LC) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. F. Marcinkowski (MU) def Chris Matturri (LC) 6-1, 6-0
5. D. Ginzburg (MU) def Gavin Studner (LC) 6-3, 6-0
6. R. Bekheit (MU) def Jake Lazer (LC) 6-2, 6-0
1. R. Bekheit/F. Marcinkowski (MU) vs Brandon Goldstein/Brian Stefanowicz (LC) Unfinished
2. L. Adamus/V. Pugliese (MU) def Brian Pinkard/Chris Matturri (LC) 8-2
3. R. Chen/W. Kumthonkittikul (MU) def Gavin Studner/Jake Lazer (LC) 8-5