Feb. 23, 2013
EASTON, Pa. - The Lafayette men’s tennis team blanked Muhlenberg on Friday evening at Northwood Racquet Club by a final score of 7-0. The Leopards dropped just one set in the dominating victory to improve to 1-1 on the season.
Sophomore Brandon Goldstein took care of Dan Lakhman at No. 1 singles with a straight set victory, 6-1, 6-4, while junior Will Mercorella defeated Max Blumenthal, 6-3, 6-1, and No. 2 singles. At fourth singles, Gavin Studner bested Ben Berkowitz, 6-1, 6-3. Scott Gelbman, Chris Matturri and Alex Charchalis each picked up a win at third, fifth and sixth singles to give the Leopards all six singles points.
On the doubles side, Mercorella and Gelbman dictated the match against Lakhman and Blumenthal, winning 8-2. Goldstein combined with Jake Lazer to win 8-2 at No. 2 doubles versus Muhlenberg’s duo of Jason Teitelbaum and Eric Chavis. Completing the sweep was Studner and Matturri, who knocked off Berkowitz and Derrick Eng, 8-3.
Lafayette returns to the court on March 2, when its hosts Wagner at 2:30 p.m.
Lafayette 7, Muhlenberg 0
1. Brandon Goldstein (LC) d. Dan Lakhman (MUH) 6-1, 6-4
2. Will Mercorella (LC) d. Max Blumenthal (MUH) 6-3, 6-1
3. Scott Gelbman (LC) d. Jason Teitelbaum (MUH) 6-2, 5-7, 6-3
4. Gavin Studner (LC) d. Ben Berkowitz (MUH) 6-1, 6-3
5. Chris Matturri (LC) d. Eric Chavis (MUH) 6-4, 6-4
6. Alex Charchalis (LC) d. Dylan Ander (MUH) 6-1, 6-2
Extra. Jake Lazer (LC) d. Keith Beizer (MUH) 8-0
1. Mercorella/Gelbman (LC) d. Lakhman /Blumenthal (MUH) 8-1
2. Goldstein/ Lazer (LC) d. Teitelbaum /Chavis (MUH) 8-2
3. Studner/Matturi (LC) d. Berkowitz /Derrick Eng (MUH) 8-3