Skip to main content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer's Clash with Army Ends in Scoreless Draw

Nov. 2, 2013

Lafayette Photo Store

(4-4-8, 2-4-2)
  1 2 OT F
 Army 0 0 0 0
 Lafayette 0 0 0 0
Box Score (PDF) | Box Score |  Photo Gallery

(12-2-2, 6-1-1)
 Player Mins GA S
 Army - Boldt 110:00 0 3
 LC - McDonald 110:00 0 2

EASTON, Pa. – For the fourth consecutive meeting Lafayette and Army played to a draw, as the Leopards and Black Knights finished in a scoreless tie on Saturday afternoon at Oaks Stadium.

Lafayette moves to 4-4-8 overall and 2-4-2 in conference play, giving the team eight points. Army now stands at 12-2-2 on the year and 6-1-1 in the League. The Black Knights remain in second place with 19 points. With American (11 points) and Bucknell (13) securing victories over Boston University (9) and Holy Cross (15), respectively, Lafayette sits in seventh place prior to tonight’s matches. Colgate (7) plays at Lehigh (3) and Loyola (4) is at Navy (21).

Goalkeeper Nathan McDonald earned his seventh clean sheet of the year, giving him 19 for his career, after totaling two saves in the match. The senior’s 19 shutouts are tied for seventh in Patriot League history and are sixth in the Lafayette record books.  

Midway through the opening period a ball from the far sideline into the middle was headed down by Jeff McLaughlin for Alec Golini at the top of the semicircle outside the Army penalty area. Golini had a go from there with his right foot, but the shot sailed above the crossbar behind Black Knights’ keeper Winston Boldt. Boldt ended the day with three saves.

Army’s top chance to break the deadlock in the first half hour of play was a shot by Sean Morgan from outside the Lafayette 18, but it was deflected by the Leopards’ defense and went wide of the post. The ensuing corner kick was played short, like a majority of the Army set pieces, and eventually headed wide on a cross to the far post by Jason Lewis.

With 36 minutes gone, Chandler Fraser-Pauls had a ball bounce to him inside the Army box and he tried to sneak a shot inside the far post from 15 yards out, but it missed to the left and the two sides went into the locker room scoreless.

The second half of play never truly found its flow as each side was whistled for a number of fouls after halftime. The action picked up with 10 minutes to play in regulation time as Ben Marks found himself in the mix on two separate Lafayette scoring chances. The first came on a free kick from the corner of the Army 18-yard box that Marks ripped just past the far corner of Army’s goal.

A few minutes later Marks whipped in a corner kick that Ryan Dodds got on the end of and redirected on goal. Dodds’ header from the edge of the six was saved by Boldt off the crossbar and Army survived the attempt.

Lafayette continued to apply the pressure and nearly found the winner on two occasions in the final 90 seconds. First, Ryan Egan played a ball through to McLaughlin that was blocked away as he entered the penalty area and tried to get his left foot on the ball. Then, a scramble in the box on the corner kick led to a Peter Adubato shot that was cleared off the line by Army defender Trase Stapley, sending the match to overtime.

Two minutes into the second extra session a Lafayette corner kick almost led to the decisive tally. Dodds headed a ball into the middle for McLaughlin who volleyed it over the bar from six yards out.

Each team had six corners and combined for 47 fouls. Lafayette held an 11-5 advantage in shots.

Lafayette is back in action on Tuesday evening when the team travels to New Jersey for a meeting with NJIT. The non-conference tilt is slated to begin at 7 p.m.

Game Notes:

Army leads the all-time series against Lafayette 15-13-13.

Lafayette’s eighth draw of the season is a program and Patriot League record.

Lafayette’s senior class of 2014 was honored on the field in a pregame ceremony.

Remember to `LIKE' Lafayette Athletics on Facebook and follow @GoLeopards on Twitter and Instagram