Skip to main content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer Rallies Past Stony Brook, 3-1

Sept. 3, 2010

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

EASTON, Pa. - The Lafayette men's soccer team went over 70 minutes without a goal en route to trailing 1-0 to visiting Stony Brook late in Friday's Puma Soccer Classic showdown at Mike Bourger '44 Field at Oaks Stadium. But when the Leopards finally broke through with the equalizer, a Sam Feldbaum tally in the 72nd minute, the flood gates were officially open. Lafayette would find the back of the net three times in a span of just 11:16 to surge past the Seawolves by a score of 3-1.

With the come-from-behind victory, Lafayette moves to 2-0 on the season. Stony Brook suffers its first defeat, evening its mark at 1-1.

Sophomore Rob Bedson netted the game-winner for the Leopards, a strike in the 80th minute off of a feed from sophomore Sean Peckham. In addition to netting the tying goal of the contest, Feldbaum also assisted on fellow senior Stephen Macurdy's insurance tally in the 84th minute. Sophomore Josh Brown had the assist on Feldbaum's goal to notch his first point of the season.

Stony Brook controlled the action in the scoreless first half, as senior goalkeeper Andrew Pianko kept the score deadlocked with four big saves. Lafayette only put one shot on net in the period, which was hauled in by Seawolves' keeper Stefan Manz.

Will Casey opened the scoring in the 60th minute, as his tally off of a Wilbur Bonilla assist put Stony Brook in front. But just minutes after Manz saved a Jake Johnson attempt to preserve the lead, Feldbaum came through with the equalizer. Bedson would add his goal less than eight minutes later, and Macurdy brought the score to its eventual 3-1 final just 3:39 after that.

Pianko finished with eight saves for the Leopards. Manz had three saves and allowed all three goals in net for Stony Brook.

The 10th Annual Puma Soccer Classic resumes on Sunday, with Stony Brook challenging Colgate at noon followed by Lafayette and Temple wrapping up the event at 2:30 p.m. The Raiders and Owls played to a scoreless draw in Friday's opening contest.