Skip to main content Skip to footer

Comeback Bid Falls Short at Marist

Jake Hyatt matched a career-high with 15 saves in goal for Lafayette

April 3, 2012

Box Score

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. - Despite erasing deficits on four different occasions, the Lafayette men's lacrosse team was unable to complete its comeback, falling 11-10 in overtime to Marist on Tuesday night at Tenney Stadium. Sonny Round scored a career-high four goals in the loss.

Marist (5-3) jumped on top of Lafayette right out of the gate with a pair of goals less than three minutes into the contest. Exactly three minutes after Mike Begley scored to put the Red Foxes up two, Round cut the deficit in half with Lafayette's first score of the game.

Nearly five scoreless minutes later, Greg Allis leveled the score at two aside when he beat Marist goalie Craig Goodermote at the 4:25 mark.

Jake Hyatt made nine saves in the first 15 minutes, allowing three goals after Marist went up 3-2 with 2:27 to play in the opening quarter.

The home team regained its two-goal advantage when Jim Marks made it 4-2 six minutes into the second period. Lafayette (2-8) battled back once again to knot the score at 4-4 with a goal each by two freshmen, Cory Scheuerle and Brian Bock. Bock's goal was his 10th of the season, and extended his point-scoring streak to 10 games.

Doug Prusoff had a chance to put Lafayette ahead at 5:49, but his shot struck iron and the game remained deadlocked at four apiece. Marist regained its two-goal lead with two more tallies before Prusoff found the back of the net with 40 seconds to go before halftime as Marist took a 6-5 lead into the intermission.

Three straight goals by Marist pushed the lead to 9-5, capped by Begley's second (8:52) gave Marist its largest lead to that point prior to Round scoring twice to draw within two with 6:54 to play in the third.

Lafayette refused to go away, as Alex Floeck cut it to one with 4:07 showing on the third quarter clock. With 50 seconds to go in the quarter, the Maroon and White tied the game for the third time on Colin Serling's 13th of the year and the teams went into the final 15 minutes even at 9-9.

Begley added his third a little more than two and a half minutes into the fourth quarter to put Marist up before Round added his fourth score to tie the game at 10-10 with 10:09 remaining in regulation. The 10-10 score held up for the remainder of the period to send the game into overtime.

One minute and 45 seconds into the extra session, Drew Nesmith netted his third goal of the night to seal the victory for Marist. In goal for Lafayette, Hyatt made 15 saves for the second straight game.

Lafayette resumes Patriot League play on Saturday when it travels to Worcester, Mass. to take on Holy Cross at 4 p.m.