Skip to main content Skip to footer

Men's Lacrosse Falls in OT Thriller

March 28, 2014

  1 2 3 4 OT Final
 Mercer 1 1 3 3 1 9
0 3 2 3 0 8

Box Score | Box Score (PDF) | Photo Gallery 

 Statistical Leaders
Goals Totals
Lafayette - Gallagher 3
Mercer - Branch 4
Assists Totals
Lafayette - Round 2
Mercer - None
Faceoffs Totals
Lafayette - Broeckaert 5-15
Mercer - Evans
Ground Balls Totals
Lafayette - Bock 5
Mercer - Evans
Caused Turnovers Totals
Lafayette - Five Players 1
Mercer - Lucas
 Player Mins GA S
Lafayette - Hyatt (1-6) 64:00 9 10
Mercer - Nugent (5-3) 64:00 8 8

EASTON, Pa. - The Leopards scored twice in the final 3:32 of regulation including a goal from sophomore Robert Orazietti with 18 seconds remaining to erase a two-goal deficit and force overtime against Mercer on Friday night from Fisher Stadium. However, the Leopards comeback bid was foiled by Mercer's Chris Baxa as Baxa found the back of the net with six seconds left to play in the first overtime period to defeat Lafayette 9-8.

Mac Gallagher led the attack for Lafayette (1-7), registering three goals and one assist. Junior Sonny Round added two assists for the Leopards. Classmate Brian Bock had a game-high five groundballs to go along with one tally. Cole Branch paced the Mercer (5-3) attack with four goals while Baxa added two of his own, including the game-winner. Justin Evans recorded a team-high four groundballs.

Trailing 2-0 midway through the second period, the Maroon & White offense came alive ending the half with a three-goal spurt. Gallagher found the back of the cage with 6:41 remaining in the second quarter on a feed from Round to cut the Mercer lead to 2-1. Four minutes later, fellow sophomore Morgan Westby tied the game up at two apiece on the assist from Bock. Round followed the Westby tally a minute later on a pass from Gallagher to put the Leopards in front 3-2 with 1:34 left before the break.

Branch tallied two goals to open the second half but goals from Jake Mann and Bock put the Leopards back in front 5-4. With 51 seconds remaining in the third, Branch netted his third tally of the quarter to send the game into the fourth deadlocked at 5-5.

Gallagher's second goal of the game put Lafayette in the lead before Mercer answered with three straight goals to go in front 8-6. The Maroon & White responded with tallies from Gallagher and then Orazietti's goal with 18 seconds remaining, which forced the extra period. Mercer, however, would come away with the win, scoring late in the overtime session.

Jake Hyatt made 10 saves in the loss while the Bears' goalkeeper, Mike Nugent, registered eight saves for Mercer.

The Bears outshot Lafayette 42-41 in the contest while the Maroon & White held the advantage in groundballs, 27-21.

Leopards are back in action as they hit the road for a non-conference matchup against Monmouth on Tuesday afternoon. The opening faceoff is scheduled for 3 p.m.