2012 Football Season Opens in Unfamiliar Territory
THE OPENING KICK-OFF
• Exactly one month after reporting for training camp, Lafayette will open the 2012 football season at William & Mary. The opening kick for the Leopards comes at 7 p.m. on Saturday at Zable Stadium in Williamsburg, Va.
SCOUTING WILLIAM & MARY
• William & Mary (0-1, 0-0) opens its 2012 home slate of games, hosting the Leopards on Saturday night in a 7 p.m. kick off. W&M is coming off a 7-6 loss to FBS opponent Maryland in week one.
• Twelve starters, six on each side of the ball, return for William & Mary which was 5-6 in 2011 and finished seventh in the Colonial Athletic Association with a 3-5 record.
• William and Mary used two quarterbacks in the season opener. Junior Brent Caprio started the Maryland game, completing 3-of-7 passes. He was intercepted on the first drive of the second quarter and did not return to the game. In 2011, Caprio completed 68-of-107 passes for 795 yards with six touchdowns and seven interceptions. Sophomore Raphael Ortiz finished the Maryland game, connecting on 7-of-16 for 100 yards. Caprio and Ortiz were in a three-way battle with junior Michael Graham for the starting QB spot.
• The Tribe defense held Maryland to 236 yards and forced four turnovers. Senior SS Brian Thompson was lauded as the CAA Defensive POW after making seven tackles and intercepting a pass, returning it 32 yards to set up a field goal.
• W&M's defensive standout is senior cornerback B.W. Webb, a preseason All-America selection this season and All-CAA honoree in 2011. Webb made 40 tackles and had two interceptions last season and handles kick and punt returns.
• Jimmye Laycock (William & Mary '70) is in his 33rd season as head coach at his alma mater. He has a 213-152-2 record.
Lafayette Athletics, as a partner in the mission of the College, provides an incredibly effective learning experience for student-athletes through competitive NCAA Division I athletics. Lafayette sponsors 23 varsity sports with more than 600 student-athletes.Mission Statement | Leopard Tradition | Staff Directory | Feedback
The Lafayette Sports Network (LSN) handles all multimedia elements and advertising sales for athletics at Lafayette College. LSN is the Patriot League leader in delivering high-quality programming worldwide via television, radio, streaming video and satellite.Advertising and Sponsorships | Digital Media | LSN TV