Valiant Road Effort Pays Off With 76-68 Overtime Win at Stony Brook

Nov. 12, 2007

Box Score | More Coverage: Lafayette News Stand | Purchase Tickets

STONY BROOK, N.Y. - An impressive start to overtime gave the Lafayette men's basketball team its first win of the season at Stony Brook. Lafayette secured the 76-68 victory on Monday night, scoring eight unanswered points in the first 3:17 and going 11-for-14 from the line in the extra session.

Junior Andrew Brown led four Leopards in double-digits with 21 points, going 7-for-8 from the charity stripe. Seniors Bilal Abdullah (15) and Matt Betley (10) and sophomore Michael Gruner (10) all reached double figures.

The Leopards (1-1) dominated the opening minute and a half of overtime. Ted Detmer knocked down two free throws and took a charge on the next possession. Three-pointers by Abdullah and Brown followed to give Lafayette a 67-59 lead. Stony Brook (0-2) answered with two buckets by Nick Carter and a pair of free throws by Michael Tyree to cut the Leopard lead to 67-65 with just over a minute left.

A 15-footer by Detmer from the baseline bounced long, but Jeff Kari was fouled on the rebound. A technical foul by Emanuel Neto following the play gave Lafayette two additional chances at the line and possession of the ball. Kari made both and Brown made one of two to lead 70-65. When Lafayette took the ball, Brown went to the line and made two more free throws. Stony Brook was forced to continue to foul and the Leopards capitalized on the opportunity.

Lafayette trailed by as many as 14 points in the first half when Ricky Lucas knocked down a three-pointer with 2:54 left before intermission. The Leopards cut the lead to nine (30-21) before heading to the locker room. Gruner scored all 10 of his career-high point total in the opening half. Lucas led the Seawolves with 18 points.

In the second half, Lafayette turned the tide by forcing the Seawolves to commit turnovers on three consecutive possessions. The Leopards capitalized with a drive and dish by Gruner to Betley, cutting the Stony Brook lead to 55-54. The Leopards took their first lead of the second half, 56-55, with just 1:56 left on a pair of Brown free throws.

Lafayette returned the favor on the next possession and Lucas connected on an eight-foot floater in the lane that put Stony Brook back on top 57-56 with 58 seconds remaining. Detmer went to the line for two free throws with 44 seconds left and made one of two, knotting the game at 57-57. On the next possession, Brown was whistled for a foul on the floor, sending Mitchell Beauford to the line for a pair. He converted on both and handed Stony Brook the 59-57 lead.

Brown was undaunted at the other end of the floor, driving to hoop and making a 10-foot runner to tie the game at 59-59 with just 17 seconds on the clock. Stony Brook had one final attempt at the game-winner, but Eddie Castellanos three-point offer bricked off the backboard and the game went to overtime.

Lafayette seized control in overtime and left Stony Brook with a 76-68 victory.

Lafayette returns to action on Friday, hosting Fairleigh Dickinson at 9 p.m. at Kirby Sports Center. The game follows the Maroon Club Hall of Fame induction dinner.

• The overtime victory was the first for Lafayette since Dec. 6, 2006 when Lafayette beat St. Francis (NY), 85-81.
• Lafayette head coach Fran O'Hanlon changed up the lineup significantly on Monday. Everest Schmidt and Matt Betley were the only repeat starters from the first game while Jeff Kari, Deirunas Visockas and Ted Detmer started their first games of the season.
• It was the first time since Jan. 11, 2006 vs. Colgate that Lafayette had four players reach double figures in scoring.