Baseball Opens 2014 at VMI

Go Leopards!

Feb. 20, 2014


0-0
Lafayette at VMI
Feb. 21-23
| Lexington, Va. | Gray-Minor Stadium
Twitter | FacebookSeason Preview

1-2

Lafayette Photo Store

 
 Weekend Schedule
Fri. 5 p.m.
Live Stats | VMI Twitter
Sat. 3 p.m.
Live Stats | VMI Twitter
Sun. 1 p.m.
Live Stats | VMI Twitter

WEEKEND PREVIEW
Lafayette opens its 2014 campaign with a three game set against Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Va. Game one is slated for a 5 p.m. first pitch on Friday. The teams return to action at 3 p.m. Saturday, before the rubber match at 1 p.m. on Sunday. Live stats can be viewed using the links to the right.

WEATHER FORECAST
Friday has an 80 percent chance of rain with a high of 56 degrees, Saturday looks like a beautiful day for baseball with a high of 63 degrees with no chance of rain, and Sunday holds a 20 percent chance of rain with a high of 60 degrees.

SCOUTING VMI
Virginia Military Institute enters the weekend with a 1-2 mark following a 10-9 win over Kentucky on Saturday. Brandon Angus leads the Keydets early as he is hitting .500 (5-10), including a double and two runs scored. Jordan Tarsovich is second on the team in batting at .385 (5-13) with three doubles. Eric Mayers leads the the way with three RBI, including one home run. The Keydets are hitting .250 as a team. The pitching staff holds a combined 4.68 ERA surrendering 26 hits, 13 earned runs and 16 walks while fanning 18. 

ALL-TIME SERIES
The Keydets hold a 14-6-1 advantage in the all-time series against Lafayette. The Leopards, however, took two of three in their last series in February 2012.

PROBABLE STARTERS
Game 1: LHP Connor Ortolf (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. RHP Reed Garrett (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
Game 2: RHP Alex Farina (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. LHP Connor Bach (0-1, 9.00 ERA)
Game 3: LHP Toby Schwartz (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. RHP Andrew Woods (0-0, 12.00 ERA)


CAPTAINS
Centerfielder Andrew Santomauro,left handed pitcher Connor Ortolf, and right handed pitcher Cory Spera were tabbed as this season's team captains. Santomauro started 49 outings for the Leopards last season and hit .258 with 11 doubles and five triples. Defensively he posted a .978 fielding percentage. Ortolf was 1-5 in 10 starts last season. He was responsible for 35 runs over 55.0 innings, a 5.73 ERA, 25 strikeouts and 28 walks. Spera made 14 appearances in relief last seaon with 15 earned runs, 12 strikeouts, and seven walks over 22.1 innings pitched.

ON DECK
The Leopards will have a day of rest before traveling to Philadelphia to take on the Explorers of La Salle on Tuesday Feb. 25. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.

SCHEDULE BREAKDOWN
- 17 home games, including 2 Patriot League series
- Home Patriot League series with Navy and Bucknell
- Non-conference home games against Fairleigh Dickinson, Temple, Penn, Villanova, Monmouth and North Carolina Central
- Other non-conference games at VMI, La Salle, George Washington, Rider, Fairleigh Dickinson, VCU, Rutgers, Buffalo, Norfolk St., Penn, Seton Hall, Rutgers and Rider
- Lafayette renews its series with rival Lehigh with a pair of doubleheaders in Bethlehem, Pa. on April 26 and 27.
- One opponentent from the 2013 NCAA Tournament (Army)
- First time opponents in Buffalo, North Carolina Central and VCU


 

 

Rotating image

Lafayette Athletics, as a partner in the mission of the College, provides an incredibly effective learning experience for student-athletes through competitive NCAA Division I athletics. Lafayette sponsors 23 varsity sports with more than 600 student-athletes.

Mission Statement | Leopard Tradition | Staff Directory | Feedback

The Lafayette Sports Network (LSN) handles all multimedia elements and advertising sales for athletics at Lafayette College. LSN is the Patriot League leader in delivering high-quality programming worldwide via television, radio, streaming video and satellite.

Advertising and Sponsorships | Digital Media | LSN TV