Skip to main content Skip to footer

Tribe Takes Series Opener with Late Rally

Feb. 24, 2017

Final Stats

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. -- For the second time in less than a week, the Lafayette baseball team found itself in an extra innings game. Despite leading late, the Leopards were defeated by William & Mary 5-4 in the series opener on Friday afternoon at Plumeri Park.

Trevor Houck turned in his second straight solid outing for the Maroon and White after going seven innings and only allowing two earned runs, while fanning four. At the plate, the leadoff hitter, Quentin Bubb, set the tone going 3-for-6 with a pair of runs scored. Dan Leckie and Steven Cohen followed Bubb in the order and combined to bat 4-for-8 with two RBIs and two runs scored.

The Leopards (1-4) had no issues getting runners on base, but struggled to get them around to score as Lafayette left 12 runners stranded over 10 innings.

Bubb led off the game with a single up the middle and came in to score once Leckie blasted a two-run shot over the fence in left field.

After Houck struck out the leadoff hitter for the Tribe (1-3) in the bottom half of the inning, Ryan Hall singled down the left field line. Cullen Large came up and singled, but a costly fielding error by the Leopards allowed Hall to score to cut the lead to one, 2-1.

In the sixth, Cohen started off the inning with a double to right and he later came in to score on a John Selsor shot into the gap in left center to put the Leopards ahead 3-1. Pat Nelson would later single and Lafayette had two runners on, but the Tribe escaped the inning.



Houck was in control on the mound for the Leopards and after allowing the run in the first inning, he went on to retire 16 straight batters. However, that run ended once Hall hit a solo shot over the fence in left to trim the deficit back to one.

Bubb continued to rake at the plate and picked up his third hit with one out in the top of the seventh. The junior stole second and while later attempting to steal third, the William & Mary catcher overshot the third baseman, allowing Bubb to come in to score to put the Leopards on top 4-2.

In the bottom of the seventh, Houck got the first two hitters of the inning out, but then ran into trouble. The Tribe would knock three straight singles to the left side and a run came in to score. William & Mary loaded the bases, but Houck successfully worked out of the jam.

Connor Jones came on in relief in the bottom of the eighth to replace Houck and he got in trouble as two Tribe batters were on the base paths with no outs. Jones induced two grounders in the inning and both times the Leopards cut down the lead runner. The second ground ball came with the bases loaded and the Leopards got the force out at home, denying the game-tying run.  

In the ninth, Leckie singled up the middle and made his way over to second on a wild pitch. Cohen then got on after being walked and the Tribe turned to a new reliever. Both runners advanced a base on a sacrifice bunt but were left stranded.

Jones remained on the mound for the ninth and he gave up a single after striking out the first batter of the inning. After recording the second out on a strikeout, Large came up and hit a deep line drive to the warning track in right field and the game-tying run scored.

In the bottom of the tenth, Ryder Miconi drew a base on balls and advanced to second on a balk before coming in to score on a Michael Goldak walk-off single to left.  

The Leopards will have a short turnaround as they resume the series tomorrow morning with first pitch set for 10 a.m. at Plumeri Park.